Twilight Eyes: Novella first chapter. 

Werewolves
Osseocarnisanguinioviscericartilaginonervomedullary, the newer ages of werewolves.
He feels unsupportive of the title. It is too long. James. He can picture him copying and pasting the word from a website and making it the title of the book. Amazing is the fact, that publisher agreed. Well… maybe it is not a big deal. Publisher is devotee and James is deity. Behold… the deity James comes without bothering to knock with a big grin on his face.

“I published my work on werewolves’ myth. Did you see that?” says James.

“Maybe. Maybe not” he says.

“Ow! Come on Jake. Long words… attract long audience!” James says, moving his hand like he is opening an encyclopedic oxford dictionary.
“But what is the point of writing on werewolves’ myth… James? What is the point? You are better than that!”

“It’s a secret”
“Your big secret” says Jake, a little frustrated.

“Ok… boy. Don’t cry out loud. I will not write my History of vampire… Ok? You were missing me… don’t you”

“You are going to write HISTORY of VAMPIRE? What the…” says Jake, ignoring James’s taunt about his being angry.
“Ok… ok kidding… Jake. Well… I needed a change. I was tired from writing fantasy novels”
“And what was Osseo… Booseo werewolves?”

“It was a research on werewolves’ myth. Say now. Let’s dump his topic. I won’t write another research book again.”

“And then you will alter your very solemn promises” says Jake. He starts to picture when James started to write a Werewolf encyclopedia, dumping him as a writer partner when he had a cool story about the same topic. Now he thinks how to say he want him for his story when he has shown his anger on his werewolf osseo,

“I know your thoughts.”

“What?”

“I can read your mind”

“Ok, then what I am thinking?”

“About having me as a partner writing as usual for your new story about werewolves”

“How do you know that?”

“Well… it’s simple. Jakey. Jessie (his girlfriend) told me you wanted me for a werewolf story and then, I went on…” he stops suddenly. “It’s a secret”
Jake tries to punch him on back but James move back, avoiding the attack and go for a gut punch. They start laughing.

“I have to go now.” Says James. “Jessie called me to hang over, remain girlless my good brother”

“When will you come?”

“About 9” says James, and jump out window.
“Who’s the door for?”

“Thieves” says James grinning.
There is a roar of motorcycles coming to life and James vanishes.

*
He did not come.

“Still with his girlfriend” wonders Jake. He is angry. No… he is more than just angry. He feels murderous. No poor insect lives his feet’s crush as he walks on foot path.
What can you expect from a Jake who waited… like two months for James and when the moment comes… He goes away with his girlfriend.

“GRRRR” Jake want to become a superman, heave his house and throw it away. He really feels murderous. Time for James to face his wrath.

He takes out his mobile, go to contacts and press call button with so much force that it pop out.

“The number…” says the mobile.

And it crumples into pieces on the ground.

“James” he mumbles taking a heavy breath. “… It’s my playtime”.

*

“Jessie! Jessie! Is James here?”

“No, he left half an hour before”

“He should be in bar, sitting around red with beer.” Jake murmurs in low voice.

“What?”

“Never mind… Thank you. Bye”
“Don’t you want to stay for dinner?”
“No… No… I am good”

“Bye then”

“Bye”
A kick and Jake’s motorcycle roars to life, trembling with his anger.
Bar was devoid of James.

Where is he?
Jake looks around. And as he looks, his anger calms. Why… He feels worry.
“What happened? Kidnap? No… kidnappers will be hospitalized if they face James. Accident? Hey Jake… James suffered no accident in the life you lived with him. Animal? He got a gun. And what could be more than a peacock here in this lightly forested area? Wonder why I had this thought.”
Thinks Jake. “Life suffers sometimes if you have higher degree of imagination of about normal incidents.” “Maybe he could be in home, laughing out loud on his joke. Yes, this is James.”
With this thought, Jake heads for home.
Empty.

Where on the hell of the earth is the person called James?
At midnight the next day,

A knock disturbs Jake’s worried figure, lying on the coach.

“James?”

“Hey Jake!” James says. He is wearing only trousers.
“W-Where you were?”

“I don’t know if you will believe it… Jake. But see… I am… I am a wolf”

Jake stared blankly at James. He looks ready to burst.

“A wolf. Wow. I am a wolf too”

“It’s-It’s not like that… I am a werewolf. I can turn into wolf. I know it sound silly…

“Yes… it sounds silly. IT REALLY SOUNDS SILLY” says Jake, furious.
“Jake… wait”
Jake starts throwing whatever comes into his hand. Chair, books, keys, papers at James. He is so angry. SO ANGRY. James come after two days with an explanation or says a joke he have become a werewolf. What an explanation. Wolf.
“Jake… let me show you” says James.

And with a burst, he turns into a wolf.

A furry, gigantic wolf. Maybe thrice the size of James. Jake stops throwing things. Unbelievable. He was saying truth after all. His jaw sprang open.

“Am I dreaming?” thinks Jake. He pinches himself.  No, he is not.

No, it is real. He can feel James’s wolf’s fur. Jake feel excite. Real excite. You will be excited if you write fantasy books and one day you realize that the world is full of supernatural creatures which are considered fiction.
The wolf aliases James go towards his room and before Jake could ask why he is going there, he realized it himself. He was so busy awed at the wolf that he did not notice that James clothes were ripped into pieces when he changed.
Jake smiled.

“So?” says James, in his new clothes.

“Tell me what happened exactly” asked Jake, without any description of his reaction. For a moment, Jake thinks he has reacted very poorly. He should go into hysteria and think he is imagining things and start shouting and running around. Never mind.
“So when returned from Jessie home…

(In James’s perspective)

“Bye Jessie… Jake will eat me up if I go late”

“Leaving so early?”

“Oh… It’s nothing. Jake’s over enthusiastic about his new idea. We are going to write a story on werewolf”
“Really? It’s time you haven’t gave me a fantasy novel”
“Yeah…”

“So? Meet again?”

“Wednesday at 7 noon.”

“Where?”

“It’s secret”
“You and your secrets”

I laughed.

“Anyway. Time to go” said I.

We went down the stairs. I took my bike and kicked it to life.

“Bye” said I, looking towards Jessie.

“Bye” said Jessie.
“Hurrrrrr……” said the Honda, screaming on the road.

I felt bored. There was nothing much to see. My mp3 player was crushed by my hand tomorrow. There was only forest and road.

“Grrrrrr” said the forest.

A wolf? Wow… From where a wolf sprang from? Interesting.
There was a wolf (a quite big one), just exactly in the middle of the road. Growling at my motorcycle.

As I had no intentions to kill the poor beast. I stopped the motorcycle, and took out my gun to kill.
And then, all happened with a flash.

The Wolf charged on me with his paws. He lunged me down, holding me with his paws. I fell and the gun went out of my hand. I tried to break the hold. I want to live. I struggled…and struggled. And then suddenly, everything blacked out. 
 
And I dreamed…
It was one of the wildest dreams I usually experience. I look around. Everywhere, there were wolves looking at me. They were not growling, or angry, by any expression. Instead, they looked very calm. Each wolf was a twin of another, and there were maybe six wolves all around me. And then, suddenly, I realized I was looking at a mirror. And then, I saw people scream, wave hand, scream “Wolf” “Wolf”. And then… I woke up.

My clothes were cluttered all around me. They were ripped into pieces. I used a piece of skirt to cover myself.
What happened? Is that all was a dream. There were no bruises. There was nothing except my ripped clothes. Is that all was a dream? I jumped off my motorcycle and slept on road? Weird.
I thought about my dream.

How I saw myself as a wolf in the mirror.

How it could feel to be a wolf???
And then I phased into a wolf.

“Soon I realized that I can turn into wolf by my will, but even with a single thought I turned into a man or wolf. So the practiced the other two days. Don’t tell anyone. We have to keep it. There should be a reason that werewolf secret is not open to world” says James.

Jake’s brother may joke sometimes, but he became serious (very rarely) when it’s a need.
“Ok” says Jake. “So, you can turn into wolf at will… I expected there would be a full moon.”

“And I can keep myself… at myself. It is more of a shape shifter than a wolf”

“Cool” says Jake. “But your clothes do not survive your wolf”

“Not even my underwear” says James smirking.

Both of them look at each other, having no idea what to speak. James breaks the silence.

“Good night” says James yawning.

“Good night…”
“AHOOW….AHOWW…AHOWW!!!” says James laughing.

“I can hear gun and hunter … my brother” says Jake in reply.

James punches his brother. In reply, Jake holds him between his arms and they both start fighting.

*
(in Jake’s Perspective)

and then I went to my room, to sleep.

I had the most unusual dream I ever witnessed. I was in a cage, and there, before me, was my brother James, half-naked, with a gun. And then, in the reflection of his gun, I released; I have become a wolf in my dreams. And then it was all rush, I saw James awe struck, speaking a language I didn’t understand, I saw my house, people screaming, running, saying “Wolf! Wolf! Wolf!” And then I woke up.

I was drenched in sweat. I was on my fours, and then I realized I was naked.

I looked around my room, and saw, to my horror, pieces of fabric all around my room. And James there, with a blank expression.

I took a pair of clothes and dressed myself while James stood there, open mouthed.
“B-B-Bu…” started James without any idea what to say.
“How?” said I.
“Had someone bit you?”

“No…”
“Had an animal bit you?”
“No…”

“Then?”

“ If I HAD an idea, I could have explained”
“…”
“Maybe it’s not that bad… But I think I have a theory. You are a werewolf right? Maybe this infection spreads like Rabies… scratches, bites or saliva except the hydrophobia, or hyperactive saliva glands” said I.
“Maybe”

“Umm… which makes two werewolf brothers”

“Shh… Don’t howl!” whispered James. “And control your phasing” said James as I turned into a wolf. “You got time to practice.”… “Good night”
I whined.

*
 “Oay! Sleeper wake up!” someone said.

I opened my eyes.

“Wear something, Jake… I don’t like seeing you like this” laughed James.

I groaned. Nudity sure is going to be a problem. I wore a pair of jeans and skirt for myself.

“Jake… do you have some heart for your clothes? Are you sure you have controlled your phasing yet?”

I suddenly become hot and phased.

“See? Another jean for waste. You have only a pair left Mama Jake”

James was really rebuking today. He grabbed a pair of trousers. “Try think being human and then forget you a wolf”

I concentrated on being human.

“Hugh… I was better than you”

I thought harder.

Nothing!
“Ha Ha… Jake’s a wolf still”

Angry at James taunts, I launched myself on him. I turned into human.
“Really involuntary” said I.

“Really discomforting. Hang off from me!” screamed James.

I grabbed my trousers and put them on. “Enough morning jumping…” said I.

“Hey… they are your last pair!”
“No… I have more trousers for your information. Now… I want to eat something”

How do wol...

Don’t THINK ABOUT wo...

No… No... wolf…

I felt feverish hot and turned into wolf.

“They were really your last pair Jake…” said James. He turned into wolf suddenly.

“When will...” someone said.

“Someone here” thought I. I jumped and rushed towards window.

“Wait Jake…Wait”

“James?”

“Yes...”

“Cool… we can hear our minds.”
“It’s not cool… Now I have to control my thoughts with you”

“And I get Jake unedited… more fun”
“I am going to eat something”

“What about raw meat, wolf?”

“I prefer sandwiches… cooked”
And by the days which progressed, we soon discovered our more capabilities (also, I controlled my phasing). We ran 2 or 3 degree cool as humans, and as wolf, we had a temperature like 45, which is hot. Also, if we thought loud, we could hear ourselves as a wolf. And when there would be a full moon night, we become wolves (we couldn’t faze back to humans for solid 24 hours). And in no moon, we couldn’t phase into wolfs. Wolves are fast… and strong. We often passed our time running along as wolves. And yes, our werewolf novel… we got some good ideas for it.
And we kept the secret. And never tried to be overemotional. Being too upset, sad, or angry often triggered our other side…the wolves.





0 comments:

Post a Comment